It's a Trap!

Squidge couldn't believe his luck!

The grubby scavenger took another glance inside the small waterlogged chest he had stumbled upon, admiring its glittering contents. He snapped the lid shut, checked over each shoulder, and scurried towards the bridge, cradling his precious box like a newborn baby.

"CLANG!"

Squidge face planted into the dirt, scattering the gold and jewels, as a sharp pain roared through his right leg. He looked down in horror at his ankle, clamped between the rusty metal jaws of a dregtrap.

Whimpering, Squidge tried to pry the trap open with bony fingers, to no avail. A horrible grating voice floated through the cavern, as a sour stench filled the air.

"Here fishy fishy..."

Squidge started to panic, searching for some alternative escape... anything... anything at all.

With trembling breath he unsheathed his cutlass. Gritting his teeth he began to saw, ignoring the resulting spurts of blood, sheer terror and determination driving him through the pain.

At last he was free! Scrambling on his knees, Squidge scooped up as much treasure as his pockets could hold, and hobbled onwards onto the creaking bridge.

Maybe it was the adrenaline, or the shock, but he found himself starting to laugh. He had escaped by a hair's breadth.

"CLUNK!"

Suddenly the wooden plank beneath his foot swung open, and he tumbled down into endless darkness, coins cascading like rain, screaming all the way to his demise.

Riptide lumbered out from his hiding spot and gazed down at his latest catch, eyes gleaming.

This was a big one.


Source: https://fabtcg.com/articles/its-trap/